From:
Jessica Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 07:30:36 -0800
My husband is in the Army and we are the proud parents of 3 ferrets and
one beagle who thinks he's a ferret that are ours, and 2 ferrets I
recently rescued who are up for adoption.

I rescued these 2 on November 1st.  I went into the pet store where I
leave ferret brochures, and I saw them.  2 full grown Marshall's ferrets
in a nasty cage all by themselves.  No water in the water bottle, and
they had a tiny bit of really cheap cat food in a bowl.  I asked about
them, and the owner said that a young man brought them by and gave them
up because he was being sent overseas (Army).  The pet store owner was
trying to re-sell them and the cage for $250!  I talked him down to $125
without the cage (it was in horrible shape!) and brought the fuzzies
home.  They are doing a lot better now, and I have a family coming by
tomorrow to look at them.

It shames me as a ferret owner and Army wife to hear of a soldier doing
such a thing.  Not only are ferrets illegal on post period, but in the
barracks??  My god!  Because of our fuzzies, we have chosen to live
off-post.  Costs more every month, but I would not give up my ferrets
just to live on post and save a few dollars!  I have a friend who lives
ON post and has 4 ferrets.  They're not stuffed in a closet or hidden in
anyway.  She just has to be very careful transporting them and keep them
away from doors and windows.  If she gets a notice that someone will be
coming over to do maintainace or whatnot, she must pack them up, take
them somewhere else for the day, and remove every tiny piece of ferrety
evidence.  (not an easy task!)

I know several military families that have ferrets, most of which live
off post to avoid any possible trouble.  I'm also in the process of
making a Yahoo club for "military ferrets and other pets" called Fuzzy
Army Brats.  I've got the site already, just haven't invited anyone yet.
If you have Fuzzy Army Brats in your home, join!

-Jessica M

=====
Lone Star Ferrets Website: http://www.geocities.com/lone_star_ferrets