From:
Sharon Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:36:38 EDT
I wish it could work.  But simply financially I don't see how it could
work.  Who would pay for the paper, copies, person to administer it, score
it?  What would the questions be?  What if it were sponsored by a specific
company?  Would the questions be geared to endorse their products?  What if
it were a vet?  Would it be geared to support their personal philosophy and
pocket book?

I work for a petstore, and I am given lots of leeway when it comes to who
buys an animal.  If I think the person is making an impulse buy and doesn't
seem informed by all means I may spend copious amounts of time (away from
my duties and other sales) to "educate" this person.  And I have.  And I
have talked more than a few out of purchasing a cute baby ferret.  I may
not refuse to sell a ferret based on my personal opinion, but I can take
"evasive" measures if I have to.  I do my part as best I can and it doesn't
always work.  A few people have insisted despite my attempts to convince
them that this was not the pet for them.

I don't want to be rude, if there is a problem they are going to need
someone to turn to and I want that someone to be me.  I don't want them
to walk away saying "she hates us, we can't go back."  Even when I take in
rescues, I tell the people that for 2 months they can always take their
ferret(s) back but they would have to reimburse me for travel, food, care,
etc.  Like a boarding facility.  No one ever has, but I keep in touch with
a couple of people about the health of their ferrets and their happiness.

Its not someone's fault that life is changeable.  I once moved for a job,
found an apartment that allowed large dogs, and moved in 30 days later only
to discover the original company had sold before I signed my lease and
big dogs were no longer allowed.  Was that my fault?  Now I was "homeless"
without funds to move, and trapped in a city where I knew no one!  I
guess my dogs should have been confiscated and my rights as an owner been
terminated.

Recently my whole family had the flu, my youngest (1 year old) developed
pneumonia, the 5 year old broke his finger playing, and I lost a more than
a months time from work, not to mention the vindictive neighbor who ran
over my cat, stole powertools from my home, and made my life a living
hell, all in the same 2 months time.  I was short on patience, money, and
happiness.  Everyone around me suffered, including the ferrets.  Guess they
should have been taken from me too?  Since I didn't have a contingency plan
insuring their happiness during my time of hardship?

Everything is better now, the kids are better, the neighbor has been
evicted, and I am making up for lost time on the job.  My ferret number
has more than doubled, and I am running around like a psycho overamped on
caffeine coupled with speed!  My life is GOOD!  My animals are fine!  My
kids are great!  My husband unbelievably understanding.  And I am fortunate
to have a supportive family.

If I had been "tested" for ferret ownership what could I say?  Nope I don't
have job security.  Nope I can't predict the future.  Nope, I can't make
plans for everything that could happen in life.

I just do the best I can.  I feed the best I can find, continually look
for better, get regular care for my ferrets and myself so I can continue
to take care of everyone.

In some ways I wish testing for petownership, childbirth, extreme sports,
were possible, but like life there are just to many variables.  In the mean
time let those of us who are more fortunate be understanding of the stupid,
and supportive of those who are down on their luck.

I did think of an exception.  Child molesters are watched carefully and
are allowed to have kids, (makes no sense to me) but wouldn't it be nice
if we could refuse and brand people who have a history of animal cruelty?
Afterall we notify neighborhoods of pedophiles?

Sincerely,
Sharon