From:
michelle clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:20:13 PDT
hello everyone

I hope everyone's ferrets are doing well.  this is about yesterdays posted
about Super Pet stores.  I am the Small Animal Supervisor at the Super Per
store in Scarborough Ontario.

>The ferrets, if they are nippy ( and what babies aren't) are sometimes put
>in a separate cage where they are not handled at all "Because they bite".
>I've seen Degu's with open sores being left in a cage with others who
>attack them, and ferrets without water who were left that way even after
>I informed the person 'caring' for the small animals.>

I must say a few things.  First off all I will call the Super Pet in London
myself about the problems that you have had, and if nothing is done I will
call our district supervisor which by the way works in London.  It is very
hard to believe that she would let this go on, but i am not saying it
didn't.

>The staff I have encountered know very little about ferrets and the other
>animals they have there.

I can not say for The London store but for my store we have knowledgeable
staff.  Most of our staff have worked in vet offices, breed small animals
and bird themselves or have had them as pets.(I own four ferrets myself)I
take very good care of my animals at the store.  I handle my store ferrets
everyday.  I consider them to be mine well they are at the store.  I call
when I have days off to make sure everything is fine.  I have read endless
books on the animals that I take care of.

>I was really mad and wanted to say something nasty like yeah, I only have
>one of your ferrets right now, someone let him go in the country, but he's
>fine now!

Yes it is true that sometimes some of animals don't go to good homes, but I
talk to the people i sell my animals to and try to make sure the go to a
good home.  I have the right not to sell someone an animal and I have used
that right before.  I am sure that you have had someone that didn't end up
being right for the ferret you adopted out.  ( By the way how do you know
it was a Super Pet ferret if it was let go in the country)

>As for buying a pet store baby....they won't necessarily tell you the
>ferret requires further distemper boosters (Canine Distemper is 100%
>fatal) and a rabies shot.

All the babies that we send out have papers that say they have only had
there first shot, and yes we do tell them that the ferret should see a vet
within the first 15 days of purchase and that he needs further distemper
and rabies shots.

I do support shelters.  I tell people about the ferret aid society all the
time.  I tell them about the events and also give them the phone number if
they want it.  From what I have seen it's just my opinion that sometimes
first time ferret owners don't want a shelter ferret.  Do you really think
it is wise to send a ferret that needs extra attention ( like one that has
been abused or etc...) to a first time ferret owner that wouldn't have a
clue what to do?  I have two rescue ferrets and two ferrets I bought at
Super Pet and sometimes still don't know what to do.  ( that is why i read
FML)

>I would urge the public to boycott the Super Pet Chain, including
>Nutrience Food, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is owned by the same
>company.

Super pet is half owned by Hagen which make Nutrience.  So if you wanted to
boycott the company you would have to boycott all Hagen product.  If you
live in Canada their are not to many other choices

I am sorry this is so long guys but i had to prove my point.  I don't
always agree with the company I work for but I do care about the animals
under my care.  I cry when I lose one and are happy when I get an updated
by people, saying they are happy in their new home.  This is just My
opinion on the things said about the Super Pet chain.

Thank you
Michelle Clark
 ............and from the four fuzzie sheet sharks. Spaz, Lucky, Pudge and
Kemper

P.S.  I do have a funny little story to share.  My fuzzies where a little
under the weather today, so I made them some duck soup.  My youngest Kemper
had never had it before.  I gave it to her in a bowl.  She decided that
instead of drinking it she would take a bath.  It was the cutest thing I
have ever seen.