From:
Rene Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:51:23 EST
>Lo <[log in to unmask]>
>Re: Marshall tatts
>
>Our vet said the back foot tatt shows which distributor the ferret went
>through after leaving Marshall's.  Back right foot means ferrets went
>through Colorado on their journey to wherever.

I live in New Jersey and I got two ferrets from the same store, on the
same day 6 years ago.  They are the same age.  The pet store said all the
ferrets they had arrived together.

They both have their ear tattoos but one of them (Gunther) has a tattoo
on his right (hind) foot.  I have often wondered why.  I can't believe
that my "Gunther" was distributed through Colorado somehow.  That theory
doesn't make sense to me.  If marshall's in New York & I'm in New Jersey,
why would they ship ferrets throughout the country only to go to a
neighboring state?

I contemplate weather or not maybe he was bred to be a ferret used for
research or something other than a pet.  My tattooed guy is a sable...
maybe it has something to do with color?  I will e-mail marshall's & if I
get a response, I will post it.

I'm not curious anymore because whatever the reasoning behind the hind
feet tattoos, my boys are loved too much & it just doesn't matter that
much anymore.