From:
Cheryl M Forbis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:57:10 -0500
Hi all,
I've been watching this question "Why not use an aquarium for a cage?"
surface regularly here and elsewhere and feel I must speak up.  There is one
very good reason not to house anything in an aquarium without a ventilation
system.  Animals breath air and when they do, they remove oxygen and replace
it with carbondioxide.  Carbondioxide is heavier than air and will fill low
or enclosed areas without ventilation.  Even fish require a ventilator when
living in an aquarium.  Granted, if there is a moving animal in the
aquarium, the air will get stirred up, but it still will be less oxygenated
than an open area, especially when that animal is at rest (i.e. sleeping -
which ferrets do a lot of).  It won't kill the animals, but imagine living
at the top of Pikes Peak, a nice place to visit but, you can't catch your
breath when you're up there and you feel like s**t when you come down.  An
animals body needs oxygen to work properly and depriving it of it because
"you have a perfectly good aquarium and just can't let it go to waste" is
just ..... well, o.k.... Stupid!  Now go out and find, make or buy a proper
home for your furry (or scaled) friends!  And while your at it buy them lots
of neat toys and treats and ..... uh oh.  Looks like another case of ferret
hypnotism!  Anyway I guess I'm done being sanctimonious now.

Have a great fuzzie day,

  CHERYL