From:
Richard James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:54:33 UT
Bob, you're first.  I think I remember your writing something on the FML
about the relationship of Skunks and Ferrets, being not really close but
distant relations.  Could you write something up for me to give to the State
Health Vet here in Iowa, discussing the genetic differences, family names
etc.  He was under the impression, I took it that way anyway, that the Skunk
and Ferret are closely related and because the Skunk is very prone to rabies
the Ferret would be too.  Altho' before anyone thinks flame him, he does
believe in doing the testing on a bite, situation basis.  If the Ferret is a
house bound pet and has current shots he sees no need to test, quarantine is
fine (thank goodness for that small favor).  (I'm located in Iowa if anyone
is interested.) Anyway I think that someone with a degree (title) behind
their name will make more points than us common undereducated people (I do
have some college but didn't graduate and I don't think Elementary Education
would help much in this area anyway).  People with titles and obstinate
opinions (like some of the officials in NJ, VA, WI etc., tend to have a I
know more than you because I went to school to learn it attitude and it
takes someone else with a formal education (a colleague) to get them to
listen, if they are willing to listen.

Dr.'s Weiss, Williams, Dutton, and Dr. Karen, you're next.  Could you (even
as a collaborative effort) prepare something for us to give to State Health
Vets, local health government agencies stating the findings of the current
studies on shedding and (I can't remember what it was called, so much for my
technical mind) the length of time from the signs of illness and death for
the Ferret.  I'm sorry, but I have no idea how much trouble this would be
for either Bob or the Vets, so if this too much please let me know and
accept my apologies, my concern is for the welfare of our beloved pets and
how we can help them.  This was just the best way I thought to get
information out to misinformed professionals from better informed
professionals.  I truly do appreciate your input to the FML and want you to
know that.  The wealth of information here boggles the mind.

OK the last request, this is for anyone with true, verifiable, rational
documentation concerning Ferrets natural behaviors to help fight this myth
and yes I know we have discussed it before but I felt it was important
because the Iowa State Health Department Vet warned me to be very careful
not to have Ferrets and babies in the same household because the Ferrets
will viciously attack the infants face and head, probably because of the
milk smell or other enzyme smell around the babies mouth, they weren't
really sure why yet.  I told him that I had been owned by Ferrets for some
time now and had never seen any such behavior but he insisted it was true
and to be careful.  I know we should be careful about any animal around an
infant, but not just because it's a Ferret.

We need to rally together to help stop these myths, and reeducate regarding
the misinformation of our wondrous, fun loving, curious and loving pets.

I did find out that since 1981 in Iowa that there was only one case of a
ferret with rabies in 1987 (he didn't have the information on how many were
tested that were negative) and that ferret was kept outside in a cage and had
been bitten by a Skunk.  I don't know the particulars like if the Ferret
bitten anyone or rather it just became ill and they tested it or what.

Thank you all for your diligence in protecting our loving and loved pets.

Oh, Bob seeing as I'm in a neighboring state, if you ever get up this way,
please come and visit, we have 13 Ferrets (15 when I'm baby-sitting for a
friend) who would love to meet you!

Vicky James