Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:04:29 -0800
This is a response to someone asking about ferrets out 'loose' (as opposed
to being caged) whilst the 'adults' are out of the house.  I 'know' I saw
that question...but for the life of me, I cannot find it (in spite of
repeated readings of the FML) to quote it!

We share our lives with 10 wonderful ferrets (we really really ment to get
just one!!!)

Our 10 share a spare room with this computer setup, and a Hedgehog.  It =
is a fairly standard (well for 1940's home..) 10x12 room.

In addition to the ferrets 3 cages, there is a (cat?) climbing toy,
boxes/tents/tubes/sacks and the requisite 'newspaper' in certain corners!
We have a 35x20x17 bin (30 Gal) container with ground corncobs in it for
'snorkling'.  The 10 little 'maniacs' start their day, by getting out of
the cages by 0630....time for pets/hugs/greetings and a refill on the ol'
food dishes before ol' dad is out the door!

Ok, there is the passing out of 'Bandits'....but that's not to be expected!
(tho little ferrets sitting up on 2 feet, begging...all over the place is
hard to resist!) *Petco has got to start stocking more Bandits!*

The blinds are open at this time so window access (closed windows) is
available (for tormenting neighbors cats...'weasly posturing on the window
sill') and the doorway is occluded with plywood across doorframe and on
floor (to slow that 'digging to freedom' activity)

All the computer wiring (and there is a buttload of that!) has been wired
to the desk!  (and what a sight that is from the back!!!), so no weasel
entanglements!  The Hedgehog is safe in his aquarium high atop a stand (1
year, and no sucessful weasel assault of Mt Hedgehog!) Oh, I've given up
the bottom shelf of the bookcase!, and there is the occasional successful
reaching of the 2nd shelf, and the resultant victory of pushing of all the
CD's onto the floor!  but for the most part the bookcase is un-assailable!

Ol' mom leaves at 0745, after a look-see that the weasels haven't
'discovered' some new way to get onto the desk or anything else, and a
handful of cheerios flung, as a ferret version of a human childs Easter
Egg Hunt.

Then they are on their own until approx 1330 when ol' daughter returns from
work to check on them.  Our only problems (after 11 months of this routine)
are errant poops (deliberate?) and some CD's on the floor occasionally.
They have the room free to run and play at will, and from observation when
home (and on similar schedule) they start sacking out after 1-2 hours, and
spend most of the day napping!  Rarely after the initial burst of 'morning
excitement' are all 10 awake at the same time.  They are 'out' (in their
room) until approx 2100 (9pm) when it's divvy them up for the night.  (4 in
each of 2 cages, and 2 in 1 cage) On weekends we are off, they get access
to a small hall, and our bedroom (much to the dislike of our ol' Blue Point
Siamese!!) so they get to run on and under the comforter of the waterbed,
but ultimately end up sleeping under the futon in a massive 'Pile O'
Ferrets'

So, we really don't worry about them being out all day, as they are
confined to 1 room.....(but much larger than their cages) with each other,
and a large assortment of 'toys' (human friends think it's just 'junky')

Our original ferret (long gone...(over 18 years gone) and awaiting his
ignorant humans at the Bridge) spent WAY too much time in his carrier and
ate plain o' generic cat food......and our current weezils will NOT live
that life!  We try to give them as much freedom as we can, and the best we
can afford (or not afford!)

That's our opinion......
Yesterday (Sunday) was 'Bath Day'.....Ohhh Nooooo!!!!!
We're not big bath believers....even for our oldest (14 months) this was
the 3rd bath!

Of course, there was extra lighting moved into the bathroom and an official
photographer assigned for 'the shoot'

The 'biter' got bathed first (before he could get 'excited' by other 'wet
weasels', and tho he appears to be held in a 'death grip' in the photos, it
is merely an' illusion!

Only 1 'bath poop' but what a 'bath poop' it was!!

Three water changes amd about 10 bath towels later we got all 10 weasels
'April Fresh'

There is no sight like 'damp weasels' doing the 'shimmy shake' thru bath
towels!

Jester.......'Old Man' or "Mr Mittens' got outside Friday, when studded
tires were put on both cars all around!

Maybe someone else will be out with me today??

Ok......seem to have exhausted topics and conversation......quit??

Richard & Debra and the 10 Yakimaniacs...(from Yakima...in case you hadn't
guessed...)

Riki Tiki Tavi Chuckles Pansy Clover Rose Jester Joker Lily