Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:21:33 +0800
>On a natural feeding list someone said it won't hurt ferrets to go
>without food for up to 48 hours.

Ferrets are like kids, they won't accept new foods while something
familiar is available.

I personally am comfortable letting a ferret go for 24 hours with only
the new food, UNLESS the ferret is very young, old, or has health issues.
From the information I have read polecats often go without food for a
day.

Also,
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R3529

>Switching foods should be done slowly and with close monitoring, whether
>it is kibble or natural.  A ferret's digestion time is about 4-6 hours.
>If they didn't eat the 'natural' diet in 48 hours, that means they would
>go about 42 hours without ANY nutrition in their system.

Close monitoring is always recommended.

If a ferret hasn't accepted the new food in the 24 hours, give in and
provide their regular diet, then try some other methods to try and
persuade them to expand their menu.

>THAT in itself is harmful and organs WILL start to shut down on their
>own after a period of time.

Do you have any further information about this?  I am always interested
in learning more.

Which organs, specific periods of time, etc?

thanks
shona