From:
Highlander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:26:18 -0700
I saw a post where someone was concerened about a nip that a found ferret
gave.  The latest information I've heard about rabies in ferrets is that
ferrets are dead end animals for rabies.  Meaning that ferrets can get
rabies, but cannot transmit rabies in their saliva.  A study was conducted
in Paris that showed that ferrets were not able to transmit rabies, however
American officals have refutted the study.  Kansas State also conducted a
simular study and had the same results.  Even the CDC classifies the ferret
as a domestic animal, but there still is not a "rabie vaccine" avilable for
ferrets.  Ferrets can get rabies, but they can not transmit it in their
saliva.  If you want more information, you can talk to Hildy Langewis at
Ferretware (1-800-337-7389).  I called to order one of her cute calendars
and got into a lengthly discussion over the whole rabies and classifcation
debate.  Something disturbing she told me was that some states have
classified the ferret as wildlife instead of domestic.  What this boils down
to is if a ferret bites someone, depending on how they are classified in
that state, how they will be dealt with.  If the state classified the ferret
as wildlife, then a bite from a ferret calls for the animal to be destroyied
and tested, where as in a state that consider's the ferret domestic, the
animal is placed in quaratine and observered instead of killing the ferret.
I asked one of the wildlife biologist that I know about how ferrets are
classified in New Mexico and he said the ferret should be considered
domesticated since the ferret is not native to New Mexico, and it is not
endangered.  However city ordiences may have classified them differently.
In any case I think it would be important to find out how your state,
county, and city classify the ferret before an unfortunite situation arises.
I hope some of this information is helpfull.

                                  jdg.