From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:46:07 -0400
Bob C Stated:
>Q: "Out of eleven ferrets, six of them (55%) have or had serious medical
>issues while four of them (36%) have died from those issues.  Out of
>four dogs and two cats, for example, we've had only ONE animal die from
>a medical condition.  That's a 16% mortality rate.... So the underlying
>question to all of this is: Why are ferrets so darned sickly animals?"
>
>A: Well, first, all animals have a 100% mortality rate, at least
>sooner or later.  And if they didn't die from "unnatural causes" (car,
>poisoning, shotgun), then they DID die from a medical reason.  Even if
>an animal dies quietly while sleeping, THAT is evidence of a serious
>medical problem that ultimately killed it!

Hi BOb--
I was reading your FM post and I am certainly amazed that in all your
response you never ever brought up the possibility that these animals
(that yes perhaps live longer then the wild cousins subject to prey) have
a drastic demand put on their entire functioning systems when they are
spayed / neutered at a prematurely young age for the sake of marketing.
In infancy the gonad system is removed from the body -- depriving the
pituitary of hormonal feedback and depriving the immune system of the
benefits of hormonal input.  This most assuredly does play a role in the
overall development of the individual animal.  Late alters have much
denser bone mass and more enhanced musculature in the LEAST!  This
hormonal deprivation intervention indeed will take a toll on the adrenal
system and the pituitary and it's sub system including the thyroid making
longevity a challenge!  Never mind the effects that stress will play over
the animals life with the increased demands on the adrenal system.

Also in the gut -- the toxins as well as the nutrients are absorbed and
passed on to the liver for filtration and the kidneys too-- if we are
giving these kids chemically treated treats and foods that is a more
toxic matter for the liver & kidneys to cleanse form the body... while
the liver is restorative, too much attack for unhealthy ingested matter -
along with filtering anesthesia, internal infections, etc., can play a
part in the health of the animal re: liver dysfunction - kidney
dysfunction and finally failure of the organs.  May I be bold enough to
state that dysfunction is not measured in the vets office- only failure-
that liver dysfunction can be present even with marginal low readings?
That to date little is done to support dysfunction of the organs...

A non functioning pituitary will cause low blood sugar I was intrigued to
learn this -- interesting for those insulinoma cases where surgery was
unable to detect islet cells!

I learned a great deal at a recent weekend seminar -- and it reinforces
the facts to me that the kibbled diets are insufficient we really need to
bring out the meats as treats and supplimental feedings at a VERY early
age.  Also the spay neuter at any age will play a role in the health of
the animal- - I am just surprised none of these issues were addressed --
you merely equated it to animals live and animals die some will live
longer !

I always look at it as -- there is an immense problem - what is causing
it and what can we do better!

Not quite what I expected to read!

Alicia