From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:05:02 -0500
First of all I *was* going to appoligize for the last post I put on here
(It was quite a flame to Ann Ryan) - but I read her post before I got to
see mine . . .

<my origional post>
>>I will have to sell my ferrets to pet stores (which I do not want to do!)
>>if sales at ferret shows stop!

<Anne Ryan's post from 2/19 in response to Zen>
>I do take issue with the statement that if they (Flemming Farms) can't sell
>them at shows, they will sell them to pet stores, as I felt that they were
>attempting to place the blame for their breeding more than they can sell on
>my shoulders.  <snip> Word of mouth is one of the best ways of selling a
>good product.

What part of "will have to" are you not understanding?  I never blamed you
for my not being able to sell my ferrets (which I don't have a problem with
becase of ferret shows).  Why would I blame you?  I don't know you!  *Nor do
you know me!* Most of my ferrets are sold to repeat buyers and by word of
mouth.

<zen posted indirectly to Anne Ryan>
>We do not recall meeting Amy or Derek nor have we had long email
>conversations with them.  But we know you have no room for attacking their
>ethics.

<Anne Ryan's post 2/19 in response to Zen>
>I tossed out our policy, and was attacked for it by the Flemmings.  I wrote
>back to them in defense of myself and our club, not in order to start the
>great political debate.  We have made a rational decision that we plan to
>stick by.  The Flemings attacked me and made comments (as you have) that
>our show would fail.  In our case, that is not going to happen, as history
>has already proven.

Anne, I am sorry you feel I attacked you.  It was not you, but your policy.
It wasn't anything personal - until you attacked me by statements such as "
I am sorry that you are more concerned for the money you make than the
general health and welfare of the ferrets." We both know this is not true.
And if everyone "attacked" you - why was I singled out to be attacked back?
As far as the sucess on your show - you are counting last years, when this
"rule" was not in effect.

<Anne Ryan's post from 2/19 responding to Zen>
>Our show is NOT based on bringing people through the door to buy ferrets,
>but to learn about them and contrary to what the Flemings seem to think,
>breeders are NOT the only people qualified to educate the public about
>ferrets.  We heard many wonderful comments about the selection of ferret
>related merchandise and novelties at our show which can't readily be found
>outside of shows.

I sure would like to hear what & when I said that only breeders can educate
the public!  Although they can, I know they are not the only ones.  There
are *many* knoweledgable people out there - from one ferret owners to owners
of hundreds, breeders, shelters, clubs, etc.  But if you eliminate a way to
educate the public via breeders & shelters are your merchandise vendors
going to educate the public on ferrets?  Maybe they will only educate them
on *their* products.