From:
Stephanie Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:01:29 GMT
I read the post about taods and ferrets and just wanted to share anecdotal
evidence that amphibians are not good for dogs or ferrets.

I had a dog (live in MD) that found a toad in the back yard...well she
played with it (she was a pomeranian) and played with it until it
"croaked".  She decided to chew on it- low and behold, she comes to the
back door FOAMING at the mouth.  I grab her immediately and look closer-
her tongue had turned black!  I look down and there is the toad that she
had dropped from her mouth.  She acted fine, all but the rabid dog look!
So, I grabbed the hose and gently washed her mouth out.  She had diarrhea,
but ended up fine.

I do know the moral of the story is most ambhibians have some sort of
"poison" that is released to make them taste bad.  How deadly it is
depends on the type- clearly poison dart frogs are not on the list of
Totally Ferret ingredients.  (As a side note: did you know poison dart
frogs become more poisonous by eating ants?  ooo ahhh)

Anyhow, I would try to keep your ferrets/dogs from putting toads in their
mouths.  Tell them, Look, not Lick.  And for those of you that have
salamandar/newts in the backyard..same goes.  There are some salamandars
that secrete LATEX when mouthed...mmmmm and others that have poisons like
frogs.

Good luck with the summer friends!
Stephanie, Chimi & Pepe (mom, can we try fried frog legs)