From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:45:36 +0100
Just had reply to some comments about wood shavings thatI included in a
letter to the RSPCA about Boes the Cardiff ferret that they murdered.
as follows:-

Further to my colleagues letter dated 2nd June 2000, your letter has been
passed to me for a reply regarding "Animal Hospital" and wood shavings
being used as bedding for ferrets.

I have consulted the Society's Chief Veterinary Officer on your behalf and
he confirms that some wood shavings can contain natural oils that cause
respiratory problems in small mammals.  However the Society would expecty
most reputable pet shops to bne knowledgable about this and only sell wood
shavings which are suitable to be used as animlal bedding.

Thank you again for writing to us with your concerns.
Yours Sincerely
Vicky Wraith (Enquiries Co-ordinator)

Oh the happy world in which they live... knowledgable stores... stocking
and selling only appropriate goods... bunny rabbits playing in the
feilds... and Mr. Sun shines benevolently down every day.

My point is that some people, having seen this item on tv without a full
explaination about the natural oils, and go to thier local sawmill /
builders yard for supplies.  I notice they didnt answer the point about the
lack of mention of alternatives to keeping ferrets in the back yard, that
ferts are also very happy inside the house.  This item basically just
reinforced all the old stuff about ferrets.  Seems that the RSPCA have
thier attitudes stuck firmly in the 1930's, I am only suprised they didnt
suggest the old joke about keeping them down your trousers.

Again they have shown they are NOT ferret friendly and in fact seem 'to me'
to be ferret ignorant..  Bubbles is appalled !!

Cris Page 'n' Bubbles..... ("shavings suck... gimme my blankie !!!")