From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:35:26 -0700
I first want to say, thank you so much to all those who kept Slinky in
their thoughts and prayers this week.  It seems to have worked! :-)

Slinky went into the hospital Tuesday night.  He'd been having diarrhea,
not eating, not drinking, and having lost over 600 grams in weight.  His
BUN level was 103 (vet told me it should be around 30).  We decided to
leave him overnight for IV fluids and medication.

Wednesday afternoon, Slinky's BUN was down to 67.  Not perfect, but
certainly better.  We went to visit him Wed.  evening.  He was looking
perkier, but still worn out and sluggish.  While I held him, I whispered
to him that if he felt it was time, it was OK for him to join his brother
and sister at the Bridge, that I would understand.  He's never lain that
still in my arms before, and he was listening intently.  Then he licked
the tears off my hands.

The vet came in and told us that there are problems with his kidneys. :-(
The improved hydration is helping greatly, though, and hopefully with
extra TLC, Slinky will be alright.  They kept him overnight again.

Thursday evening my fiance picked Slinky up (I had to work).  The vet said
he was doing much better.  They put him on amoxicillin and omeprazol (sp?).
He's also to get a bottle of Gatorade or Pedialyte. :-)  Sean set Slink up
with Gatorade, which he absolutely loves.  When I got home I watched Slinky
drink out of the Gatorade bottle, then take a sip from the regular water
bottle, then go right back to the Gatorade.

This morning Slinky took his meds like a champ (the omeprazol pills are
huge, for a ferret), and he ate a ton of Nutri-cal.  I noticed that he
didn't eat any Totally Ferret overnight, so I think today I'm going to
brave a venture at making Duck Soup.  (help)

Thanks again for your love and support.  I'll be getting back to those who
emailed me personally as soon as I get a chance.

=====
Aileen & the Herd
The Ferrets: Slinky, Kyle, Noel, & Toby
The Dogs: Rootie the beagle & Tank the GSD/basset
Still missing Sandy & Gizmo. We love you.

Check out the Herd's website at: http://www.geocities.com/anippy