From:
Mia Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 16:52:51 -0700
Hi folks!
Why is it these debates always happen when I'm sick in bed and not reading
the list?

I am both a breeder and a shelter.  Now we have not been doing either long
enough to justify the response I would like to give so lets try something
constructive.

FIRST and most important, without breeders there would be no baby ferrets,
no baby ferrets = NO FERRETS PERIOD.  It is unfair to criticize breeders who
are conscientious and caring enough to open their homes to unwanted ferrets
for breeding ferrets as well.  I did not start out with intentions of
becoming a shelter, I saw a need, I was able to fill that need, so I did!
Am I supposed to give up breeding because I am now running a shelter as
well?  Am I supposed to become selfish because I am a breeder and quit
running the shelter?

SECOND it was stressed that breeders would end up with the ferrets they
breed coming back to the shelter later.  When you are breeding ANY animal
you must expect that at some point in time one of your own is going to come
back to you (We haven't had that happen so far, touch wood) and not because
you are a shelter but because it HAPPENS to the best of us.

THIRD a few questions to breeders/shelters just because I would like to know
(please respond direct to [log in to unmask]) I do not expect exact numbers but
an honest estimate would appreciated.

1) How many of the ferrets you breed do you receive back to your shelter on
   a yearly average?

2) How many kits do you sell yearly?

3) How many shelter ferrets do you receive per year that have been purchased
   from pet stores?

4) How many shelter ferrets come in because they are ill each year and their
   owners are not able to get medical help?

5) How many abused/neglected (rescue) ferrets do you receive yearly?

6) How many healthy , happy ferrets are brought to your shelter from loving
   homes who for some reason or another are simply unable to care for them?

7) How many careing owners have called you for advice on finding homes for
   their pets and whether or not to sell them?

The answers to these questions are for my personal information and I have
no intention of publishing the answers or paticipants names anywhere ever.
If any of the participants would like the averages just request them when
you mail your reply.

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks to everyone for their time,

                       Sincerely,
                            Mia Emery