From:
Dawna Kraus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 09:25:30 -0700
Hi fuzzy lovers: this is what i wrote to the governor, i hope it helped.  i
thought, these people that we are driving crazy probably have no idea what
ferrets are and that we were a bunch of nuts.  i tried to portray us as
normal intelligent people that happen to own and love our ferrets.  It was
mentioned that the video would help this problem but time was of the
essence.  (this was sent mon nite) i see the vet has got to see Kodo - i
hope he'll be home on Tues (it looks good) and Bob, i'm sending another
donation - keep your chin up!

>TO WHOM EVER RECEIVES THIS - please, please see to it that Governor
>Engler reads this one.  i know you have been crazy with all this, but it
>may help you all understand.

>WHAT IS A FERRET:
>A ferret is not a hamster or a guinia pig type pet.  He is like an
>ll month old child that can't talk but he can walk, get into mischief and
>explore every nook and cranny, sack, shoe or cupboard until he's tired and
>falls asleep in his favorite spot under the bed, in a drawer or in his
>hammock in his cage.  He's like a newborn baby that sleeps 16-20 hrs a day
>but needs to be held, cuddled and loved when he is awake, after sufficient
>playing & a full belly.  He loves to ride around on your shoulder as you do
>your chores.  He looks like the family cat with a longer body, shorter
>legs, an ADORABLE face, teddy bear ears, paws with bear paw pads and front
>hands that work almost as well as a racoons!  He eats a "kitten like"
>ferret food, uses a LITTER BOX, needs to be descented (which takes away the
>smell) and neutered, requires feline distemper & rabies vaccinations.  BUT,
>he is more like the family dog when it comes to intelligence.  He will come
>to you when you call his name, (unless he is busy sleeping & doesn't want
>to get up).  He wants to be with you and comes looking for you if he wakes
>up and you are not in the room.  Then he sticks with you while he plays,
>does his "happy dance" and explores everything he sees.  He bonds with one
>person in the family the strongest and he "LOVE" them the most and you love
>him, and he knows that.  When his life is over (hopefully 10 years), losing
>him hurts as much as any other member in the family.

>As you know, this is about KODO the ferret that there is so much controversy
>about.  The description is of my 2yr old male, Ewock.  Having him ripped out
>of my home would be like having a child abducted!!!  Kodo must be so scared,
>wondering where his family is and why they let him be taken away.  I can't
>imagine this being Ewock - i know he'd die - he just wouldn't eat!  Everyone
>has family pets so think of your Fido or Fluffy - look in their eyes and the
>eyes of your children or grandchildren!  What if this were YOUR PET?

>We see thru Mr. Jacobs that their day in court last friday was cancelled
>due to documents submitted to the appeals court by the the State Attorney
>Generals office.  They have petitioned the court to dismiss the stay of
>execution for Kodo in the "INTEREST OF PUBLIC HEALTH", they are requesting
>that Kodo be killed immediately and tested.  Isn't it just a LITTLE late to
>do this now?  This is going on THREE weeks now, the man that was involved
>is totally convinced that the ferret is healthy and if the ferret DID have
>rabies he'd be DEAD by now anyway and the man would have come down with it
>by NOW!!!!!  I was bitten as a child by a cat that we could not catch.  I
> [...]

 Respectfully,
 Dawna Hall Kraus
 President-Mt School Bus Contractors Asso.
 Hall Transit Co., Inc.  (school buses)
 Hall Transit Charter, Inc. (tour buses)
 Auto World Hi-Lo Truck Center, Inc.
 Ferret Lover Dog/Bird/Horse Lover
 Great Falls, Mt.

  cc:  Mt Gov Marc Rosciot
       Mt AG Joe Mazurek
       Robert Jacobs (Kodo's owner)
       Mi AG Frank J. Kelly

GO KODO!!!!! EWOCK SENDS YOU HIS LOVE!.............