From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 23:07:14 -0500
I need ideas from you who have dealt with these little furballs longer than
I.  I have an adorable cinnamon sprite almost two years old.  Doaking wet
she barely weighs 1-1/3 pounds.

Her name is Trouble and it FITS.  She thinks she is invincible!

The problem is she eats so fast she gets choked.  She can't breathe, her
lips, gums, tongue, and throat turn completely blue, and once she passed
completely.  The horror of this is awful.  I can't take it any more!!  (No,
no, no, I would never let her go to anyone else, but it is really upsetting
me.)

She has choked on both pelleted foods and shaped foods like Totally Ferret
and Iams Kitten.  She just gets in too much of a hurry and doesn't chew it
right.  She lives with her 5 "brothers and sisters" but food is available
all of the time, there is seldom another ferret eating with her, so it can't
be competition or extreme hunger.  It is just Trouble living up to her name.

She is very "high-strung" and also has occasional ulcer symptoms if I take
her out of the house (now only to the vet), or gets scared or stressed.  She
is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, even if it is at the other end of the
house.  She will not accept other ferrets except her "chosen" group.  She
may be small but she has whupped a 4 pound boy.

I think the choking is unrelated to the other things I just thought I'd
mention them so you guys would understand what I live with.  The choking
isn't often but it happens and I am scared that she will choke when I am not
here, but because of her sensitive system I can't take her with me either.

I don't want to moisten her food or grind it up because, over time, this
will be bad for her teeth, and what about the other 5 who are with her.
Suggestions???  Thanks - Trish