From:
Sal Arledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:05:25 -0400
I would like to comment on all the posts regarding children, youth, teens
getting pets.  I know both sides of this.  Congratulations to all of you
'kids' who being responsible with your pets!!

I am step-mom to (2) teen girls.  They are both horrible about wanting,
getting & then not wanting pets.  I still let them try because they will
never be responsible if they are given the chance.  However, whenever I do
agreed, it's because I know that I am taking on another pet.  Do I have
time to remind her daily to feed this pet, do I have time to feed this pet
myself, do I have time to clean another cage, etc.  If I answer yes, then
the pet comes home.  If I answer not at this time, the pet does not!

Right now, we have (2) dogs, (4) cats, (1) ferret, (2) turtles,
(1) hamster, (7) goldfish ( in a pond ) and a tropical fish tank!
I take care of all of them!!  And I love them all!!

Parents have to be responsible too.  You MUST acknowledge the fact that you
may end up with this pet & if you can not care for it, then DO NOT let your
child bring it home!!  Good luck to all you!!!

Sal

sal _ a @ computerrescuesquad.com