From:
Cam & Trijntje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:40:48 -0500
Hello all

As you know, I don't post often and it seems that when I do, it is about
one of our babies crossing the bridge.  I also usually wait awhile because
it is so hard.

Misty had been dealing with Adrenal, Insulinoma, large spleen and perhaps
more things, for several months now and she also had her age against her.
She was beginning to loose her balance a lot and not always making it to
her litter box, etc.  She lost interest in solid food and since her teeth
weren't the greatest, I would soak her food so that she could eat it
better.  She liked that, for a few days and then quit eating again.  I
gave her our version of "chicken soup" every day but eventually she lost
interest in that too.

Friday, a week ago, we took her to the vet as a last ditch effort to see
if there was anything we could do.  I wondered if perhaps her balance
problem was due to an inner ear problem.  I didn't think so but I wanted
to exhaust all possibilities.

The next morning, when I got up, I would go and see "the kids," especially
Misty, like I did every morning .  Oh, oh.  No poop, no food eaten, what's
up.  I looked at her bag and it was jerking.  I pulled her out and she is
stiff as a board and hard as a rock, yet warm, and convulsing.  Our vet
is 1/2 hr. away and I called them and started the car while my husband
dressed.  I threw my coat over my pjs and off we went.  As we got closer,
the convulsions got weaker and we knew it was her time.  Her heart was
irregular and her breathing shallow.  The vet tried to revive her but we
decided to help her cross over.  She hadn't blinked once in the last hour
so the vet thinks that perhaps she had already been brain dead and was
therefore not suffering.  Even though this may be some consulation, How
long had she been suffering before I found her, and the worst thing of
all, I wasn't there for her.  Even though she was still alive when I
found her, she "died" alone.  Misty, I am so sorry.  I miss you.

Trijntje Miller