From:
"D. Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:40:11 -0800
Dear friends,

I need some advice regarding my beloved pet Scooter.  I have other pets but
Scooter was my first and I have to admit-he is my favorite.  I love him
dearly and hold a special bond with him.  My husband noticed on Sunday that
Scooter was breathing very hard and rapidly.  I took him to the vet that day
and was crushed to be told he had heart failure.  The vet gave him
injections of a diuretic, an antibiotic, and an anti-spasm drug.  We took
him home with us.  The doctor said he could die at any time but if he began
to urinate often his kidneys were working and it would him to eliminate the
excess fluid on his lungs.  Well, he did begin to urinate often throughout
the night- He slept in a carrying case on the night stand - while I stayed
up all night to watch him sleep.

He seemed much better on Monday and the doctor said to bring him in for an
ECG and x-rays.  Scooter's tests were not good - his heart on the x-rays
seemed to take up his whole chest.  I was given medications for him and this
is where I am concerned.  The doctor prescribed

              FUROSEMIDE- .25 each morning by mouth
         and  CARDOXIN - 1/10th of a ML each night

I am concerned about the dosage and wonder about the side effects- I am also
worried and wonder if this medication is right for him.  The doctor told me
that these drugs are not approved for use in ferts and because of the status
of ferts here - most vets are not well versed in their care.  This doctor
seemed to know about the usual health problems.

Adrenal disease is also suspected because of the characteristic hair loss
and because of the elevated measures on Scooter's blood test.  But that will
be dealt with after he is stabilized with his heart problems.

I am in graduate school at the old age of 43 years old.  This has been very
expensive for us, actually over $450 so far, I might have to sit out a
semester.  But what concerns me the most is am I getting the right advice
for my money.  Scooter is worth every cent and more- I just want him to live
awhile longer.  So I asking for advice on his medical treatment.  I could
fax his records to any vet who is an expert in these wonderful creatures.  I
would be more than willing to pay for a consultation- I just want to do what
is right for him.

As long as Scooter has a good quality of life and enjoys each day I want to
be able to do what I can to assure this.  He is the best part of my life and
I can't imagine life without him.  So I am turning to all of you- the only
ones who understand what they mean to us and asking that you check with your
vets and let me know if this is the right course of treatment.  I welcome
any advice from those who have been in this situation- and please say a
prayer for my little boy.

Donette