Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:09:08 -0800
>I must say that feeding liver mice to ferrets as a "natural" diet is
>the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard.  I understand that everyone wants
>our ferrets to eat a natural food and that's great.  However I don't
>think that having them kill a mouse Is in the least bit intelligent.
>As mentioned a ferrets environment and breeding is a major factor.  If
>mice is to some absolutely necessary why not feed pre killed mice.
>They don't have to suffer and they wont cause injury to fuzzies.  I
>just think feeding a live animal is DISGUSTING!  They are ferrets!
>NOT WILD ANIMALS..... How can we expect to get ferrets legalized by
>feeding them things that WILD ANIMALS eat.

Think it is time for me to step in and makes some comments.

To those of you who don't know me, greetings and salutations.

To those of you who do...The groans are music to my ears...LOL!

Until recently (Last 2 years) I have ALWAYS offered live mice to my
ferrets.  There are many reasons.  for one, I am an amateur animal
behaviorist...**I** believe that animal behavior is one of the many
keys to longevity in a domestic animal.

The writer below states, "They are ferrets!  NOT WILD ANIMALS"
Very true, but....like all carnivorous animals, they are driven by
instinct.  Just as dogs and cats are.  Cats are hunters...if there is
a mouse or bird, or spider, or bug, or whatever, they will hunt and
kill....but only after playing with it for a bit.  A few will eat the
kill, but mostly, a domestic cat will leave it's kill at our doorstep,
sharing it with us, their human companions.  Dogs are not as 'savage'
as a cat, so usually won't play with its intended victim, but will kill
it none the less.

Ferrets....they too will play with its victim...and then will kill it...
sometimes.....I have never had a ferret that WON'T play with a mouse,
just some won't eat it after it has been dispatched.  I will get into
that later.

Back to animal behavior.  In short, I firmly believe that the 'exercise'
a ferret's brain is put to, when chasing, playing, and killing (Yes..I
do include killing in this), keeps the ferret's naturally active mind..
well... active...and that an active mind is a contributing factor in the
longevity of a ferret.  It is also for this reason that ALL of my ferrets
are taught to do behavioral modifications....tricks, if you may.....on
command.  It keeps their little mischievous minds active.....if nothing
else, they know that if they do as I ask, they get a treat!  (And you
know how much our little companions are treat motivated!)

As for eating their kill...a freshly killed animal is a bit more
nutritious than frozen feed.  At the instant of death, changes start to
happen to the carcass...quite rapidly..bacteria start to break down the
tissue much faster as there are no longer any natural body defenses in
effect.  (I am *NOT* saying frozen is bad..it isn't....as long as it
is quickly frozen after death.)  The problem arises in getting an adult
ferret to eat any kind of BARF or live diet.  I won't go into that
headache.

I have been owned by ferrets for more than half my life.  (And I am a
geezer...an even older geezer, as today [the 28th] I have to endure
another addition of a year to my age....GAH..does it never end?!!  LOL)
Until recently, all the kits that came into my house, were given mice to
chase, play with, kill, and eat.  My newest ferrets were all rescues and
adults, so kibble it is.  I don't even have mice for them to play with,
as I don't raise them any longer...no more snakes.  Until my little New
Zealand girl, ALL my ferrets ate mice.  She, would have nothing to do
with them, after they were dead...and I had her since she was a kit..8
weeks old.....

Now...live feed.....justification...again, this is just my opinion..there
is NO proof what-so-ever, no studies, no research projects, etc., that
support or reject my thoughts...but...as I said earlier...I believe that
my feeding of live prey leads to longevity.  I am blessed with ferrets
that live to ripe old ages....10, 11, and even 12 years of age..this is
the norm, not the exception.  The only thing I do differently (Or
did....) with my ferrets, is the live prey/feed and the 'tricks'...the
constant training....to keep their minds active.

I believe that a natural (Or BARF) diet is a step in the right direction,
but I feel strongly that the interaction of predator and prey is a
critical factor in the overall health of a ferret.  There is nothing
'stupid' about this..it is good animal husbandry, IMHO, of course.

I would like to add some food for thought here......

You feel strongly that 'pre-killed' mice is a better choice, as they do
not have to suffer.  My question is (And I *DON'T* know the answer!) how
does one know that 'pre-killed' mice are killed humanely?  How are they
killed?  Vacuum chamber, electric shock, freezing, or even the use of
some sort of lethal gas, which, of course, questions how good the
pre-killed mice would be for any animal, if this is the means of
displacement!

And......lastly, another question...

What is your take on cats being used as mousers?  They are domestic....
and share a very big portion of humankind's lives.....ever watch a cat
kill something....it ain't pretty!  Ferrets are much more neat in
dispatching their prey!

Food for thought....

MC, The Rude One
(With Artemus, Rudy, Abraham, and Tumbles.  In spirit: Bubba, Billy-Bob,
Garret, Snorkle, Squeeks, Tuzigoot, and Bancho)