From:
"Helen M. Wojciechowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:30:42 EDT
>From:   reagan rodney <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Reagan,

I have had some experience with ferrets that don't want to eat and lose
weight.  For one her tummy may be bothering her.  Ask the doctor for
something for her tummy.  Give it to her a half hour before she eats.
What I give mine is Carafate 0.5 cc one to two times a day as needed.

You may have to force feed her.  Most ferrets don't like the duck soup at
first but once the aquire a taste for it they will eat it.

If they wont eat on their own I scruff them and feed with a spoon most
ferret people use a syringe.  I have better luck with the spoon.  You
have to make sure she eats and doesn't get dehydrated.

I tried some of the recipes off the Internet and they didn't seem to like
it.  So I just use 2 jars of chicken baby food to one can of AD from the
VET.  You can get this at your Vet.

I mix it up real good and add a baby jar of water to it.  I make it look
like soup almost like tomato soup that comes out of the can before adding
anything to it.

I heat it a little in the microwave to make it warm they like it better
warm.  Then I add a little Heavy Whipping Cream to it.  Not much about a
half to a teaspoon depending on how much you mix up on the plate that you
are going to feed.

I feed four ferrets now so I add a teaspoon to mine but it is a good size
plate that I keep just for the ferrets.  It use to be from my old set of
dishes and was the salad plate or desert plate.  I hope you find some way
of getting her to eat it is very important that she eats.

You may want to call the Vet that did the surgery and ask what you can
do.  They may want to see her again just to be sure nothing else is going
on with her.

I will keep her in my prayers.  Feel free to write me if you want.  I
am sure you will get lots of response to this as most ferret owners have
come across this problem at one time or another.
--

Please Can You Help
We are looking for Forever Homes for our kids

We have our 501 c papers so if you would like a receipt please
send us your name and address.

Donations Can Be Sent To
Helping Hands Ferret Rescue
C/O Helen M. Wojciechowski
RD 4 Box 278 New Castle, Pa 16101
You can also go to Pay Pal and type in HH Ferret [log in to unmask] and make
donations there. Please visit us here
http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/hhferretrescue/
Thank You and God Bless You
Helen Owner and operator of