From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 23:02:52 -0500
    Finally got a look at the (proposed ?) amendment this afternoon.  I have
the whole bill typed in but the relevant lines with the added parts
CAPITALIZED are as follows:

15      .................................................Breeders licensed
16      under this section shall be allowed to offer for either wholesale or
17      retail sale ferrets that are the offspring of animals propagated or
18      maintained by the breeder. "AND SUCH FERRETS OFFERED FOR WHOLESALE
        AND RETAIL SALE ARE NEUTERED OR SPAYED AND HAVE RECEIVED INOCU-
        LATIONS AGAINST DISTEMPER AND RABIES OR OTHER INOCULATIONS THAT THE
        DIRECTOR MAY REQUIRE AND EVIDENCE OF NEUTERING, SPAYING, AND INOCU-
        LATION IS KEPT AVAILABLE BY THE SELLER FOR INSPECTION BY THE
        DIRECTOR."
and:

37      ...........................................................Ferrets
38      shall not be sold in a pet shop as defined in chapter 129, section 1.
        "UNLESS SUCH FERRETS OFFERED FOR WHOLESALE AND RETAIL SALE ARE
        NEUTERED OR SPAYED AND HAVE RECEIVED INOCULATIONS AGAINST DISTEMPER
        AND RABIES OR OTHER INOCULATIONS THAT THE DIRECTOR MAY REQUIRE
        AND EVIDENCE OF NEUTERING SPAYING AND INOCULATION IS KEPT AVAILABLE
        BY THE SELLER FOR INSPECTION BY THE DIRECTOR."

    For those of you who have been following this long saga, the bill was
'abandoned' in the House last year because of a disagreement between the Pet
Store Industry who wanted to sell ferrets and others (MSPCA and Fisheries)
who did not want that and succeeded in amending the bill to prohibit the
sale.

    This year a lot of hard work moved it all the way through the House,
broke it loose from Senate Ways and Means where it had been lodged for six
months, and truly got it all the way through the Senate on a voice vote and
without the need for a Third Reading.  ie.  We were ALL in agreement that
this was a good thing.  Then along comes a lobbyist (We know his name) who
talks to a certain Senator who then comes up with an 'innocuous clarifying
amendment', and the next morning the process begins.

    Notice how easy it is to miss the intent unless the amendment is put
with the first part of the sentence on line 37.  It probably would have
passed last night too if the House had been less busy with some other quite
controversial and complex items which didn't allow any time.  Then the fight
may have very well have been before the Governor.

    What to do next ??  The bill isn't dead yet by any means, Rep Jones is
very much aware, and if the groups opposing pet store sales aren't aware,
they soon may be irregardless of what we say here.

    Without passing on the merits of either position (my guess is that the
amendment may be withdrawn), we are at this point advising everyone to call
their Senators and Representatives and let them know of your support for the
Ferret Bill (H295).  Ask them the status of the bill and inquire as to just
what is what is holding it up?  After all it is just such a simple bill,
everyone is in agreement and it shouldn't take any time at all.  Be polite
and appeal to their sense of compassion.  Everyone wants this don't they,
what could possibly be preventing it from passing ??  Make your VERY strong
desires clear to them or their staff as you have all year long and we will
prevail this time too.

    Next legislative sessions are scheduled for Monday and Wednesday next
week November 20th and 22nd.