From:
Ruth Harrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:19:27 -0600
I just got a new ferret from a friend for free (luckily).  Its the cutest
little critter thats ever walked the face of the earth!  At first, when the
little girl wasn't used to using the litter pan it seemed hopeless... but
with a little encouragement and reward (+ patience) it can be achieved
pretty easily!

In this situation I have only one cat that lives with the ferret.  It
should be pretty easy to train your cat to be friendly, or even play with
your little creature.

Through these methods I've learned by experimenting, I've found it pretty
easy to train my ferret and the cat to get along great.  And a few other
things with just the ferret.

First, when introducing your ferret to your other household pet, make sure
you take time to introduce the two.  Always hold the be ready to intercept
the bigger animal if it lunges or attacks the ferret.  After they have gone
through the initial stage of introducing your pets to one another ( and the
ferret doesn't annoy the cat or dog too much, you can start training
them... NOTE: some animals get along great with the ferret so it doesn't
take any training at all to make the two friends.  My suggestions are to
put the two newly aquainted animals together until the ferret starts
starting the "mock combat"(closely supervise this activity) Now... while
the ferret is "attacking" your original pet offer your "original" pet
treats( it helps if the "original knows the sound of the treats being
shaken in their containers) A while of this and your "original" pet won't
mind they rough-housing being carried on by the ferret at all.

Another great thing to do is teach your ferret that picking it up is a good
thing.  To accomplish this, just every time you pick it up, give it a treat
and talk in a low soothing voice close to the ferret.  You can also
associate certain noises with feeding the ferret treats.  Like a simple
loud whistling or a clucking noise with your mouth before and after
presenting the goodie to the little explorer.

I've found all these methods and more for training and for training to play
successful and fun at the at time!  If you want further info e-mail me.