Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:44:01 -0400
So you got to see fuzzy grapes, did ya? Hmm. I'm sounding like a hob
myself with that overly generous description. They actually aren't
fuzzy grapes unless they are in rut. During normal times, they are more
like ... fuzzy peanuts. Yeah, that's the ticket. Cute as buttons. So
cute in fact, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I thought I was
going to see Melinda (one of the California sisters that frequents the
yearly ferret forums and symposiums as well as other ferrety events)
kiss a set.

I was so innocent at the start of the St. Louis symposium. But I sure
didn't leave that way. I mean can you picture it? Such a ... sweet,
quiet, unimposing little Wolfy minding her own business talking to some
friends in a mini huddle in a conference room. We were all adoring a
very young, robust breeder hob. Gorgeous animal. I was really doubtful
he was a ferret actually. I mean no ferret of mine every looked like
"that". Melinda burst her way into the group, grabbed the ferret out
of someone's arms, to share her expertise about ferret nuggets. Loud
as you please, "He's so big because he still has his bits and pieces,
see?" The poor ferret got flipped over like a pancake. Like Alex said,
I swear ... he smiled. He just layed there with his legs splayed out
without a care in the world. Everyone stood there either shocked or
giddy as Melinda went on and on about ferret ball facts. "Look, Wolfy!"
She pushed them right under my nose. "Aren't they just adorable? Don't
you just wanna kiss em?" I honestly thought she would herself, but she
got side tracked with discussing penis facts as well. She was trying to
show us "that" and very unsuccessfully, when Dr Karen came dancing by
(no, she was literally dancing ... she's a belly dancer ya know). I can
still see it now. Everything slowed down to a slow blur. I can rewind
it over and over in my mind like a sports replay. The sounds around us
silenced. Melinda's words dulled. In slow motion, a hand slipped into
the group, onto the ferrets abdomen, and ... pop! Out it came. All of
us jumped back, let out a big "OH!" I have never felt my eyes bulge
like that. Ever. Yes, ferrets have adorable fuzzy little peanuts that
almost tempt you into wanting to blow bubbles on them. But the
important part of the "bits and pieces", is NOT cute, fuzzy, or ...
little.

Good God, could that ferret smile any bigger laying there? I have to
go get that image out of my head. I can always count on you, Alex, to
bring such ... endearing memories back to mind.