From:
"Sharon M. Estes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:13:48 -0500
Hi!
I have just joined this list.  I did so because I am on the verge of
possibly becoming a ferret "mom."  I have a question and I need advice
as quickly as possible on this subject.

I am the proud mama to an 11 month old daughter, a 7 year old sheltie, a
10 year old cat, and an almost 2 year old cockatiel.  I teach elementary
special education and the cockatiel travels to work with me on a daily
basis.  I have fallen for the ferrets at the local pet education center
and the lady who owns it has approached me about adopting 2 ferrets who
have been turned in to them because the "kids aren't taking care of them
as promised."  The lady says they're gentle and accustomed to being
handled by children, vaccinated, descented, etc.  It all sounds good so
far.  However, I want to know what you people think about ferrets as
classroom pets.  There would be constant human contact from 7:30 until
4:00.  They would be alone at night and on regular weekends except for
daily visits to clean, water, feed, and exercise a bit.  I would bring
cage and all home for extended weekends or vacations.  However, my home
is small and adding a large cage full time is not an option right now.

Here is one big concern of mine: The temperature varies greatly in my
room at night.  During the summer, I am required to turn my thermostat
to above 80 at night.  During the winter it has to go down to 60.  Temp.
during the day is always somewhere between 68 and 75.

Ok, what do you think????
Thanks for all input!
Sharon