Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1993 15:33:15 -0400
From:   NAME: Denise Coldeway
        FUNC: 352
        TEL:                                  <COLDEWAY.DENISE@A1@VAXEN>
To:     "[log in to unmask]"@internet

From:   NAME: Denise Coldeway
        FUNC: 352
        TEL:                                  <COLDEWAY.DENISE@A1@VAXEN>
Date:   29-Oct-1993
Posted-date: 29-Oct-1993
Subject: Hi Y'all!
To:     [log in to unmask]

[The above is the result of a severely nutso mail system.  It had *three*
sets of headers separated by blank lines.  There should only be one set
of headers terminated with a blank line.  Please advise your system
administrators that they should fix it.]

Greeting fellow ferret pets!

My name is Denise Coldeway, and I am obviously new to the ferret-
list, as well as the internet system.  I apologize in advance if I
commit any serious blunders.  Please know that I am very excited
and relieved to be here.  I knew the boys and I had to have some
comrads out there somewhere!

I won't take up too much space at this time.  I would just like to
briefly introduce my family, and voice a few concerns.

I am the proud pet of two darling little boys, both sable.  Simon,
(my oldest, 2 1/2 years, and the mamma's boy of the two) has a
white face with no mask, and the most adorable little pink nose!
Tyler, age 1 1/2, is my little rascal!  He's a rather "traditional"
looking sable, sporting a very handsome looking mask!  We are all
the very best of friends!  Like all ferret moms & dads, I simply
couldn't imagine my life without them!

Incidently, we live in the very wonderful, beautiful city of
Austin, Texas.

Approximately two weeks ago, my little Tyler contracted a "mystery
illness."  Bless his heart, he's not a snuggler (although I wish he
was), but on this particular morning, he was curled up right next
to me in bed, and actually submissed to my incessant stroking!
That was my clue that something was wrong.  Both Simon and Tyler
sleep with me regularly, but for Tyler to not to wiggle while I'm
petting him is definitely strange.  I picked him up, and sure
enough, he was burning up with fever!  Off to the doctor we went.

He received a thorough exam with inconclusive results.  The doc
prescribed ferret Amoxil, twice a day for a week.  He appears to be
feeling much better now.

Finally, I get to my concern.  Part of Tyler's exam was a chest x-
ray.  The doc said that he has a little fatty deposit at the base
of his heart indicating he's a little overweight.  He weighs less
than 3 lbs, however!  His little tummy is a slightly soft and
squishy, granted, but I wouldn't consider him fat.

Could anyone advise me on the proper diet for my guys?  I've asked
the vet about a proper diet and vitamin supplements (I know some,
vitamin A?, are harmful).  The response I got was to feed them a
"high quality" cat food, and supplements are not necessary.

Am I getting accurate information?  I would appreciate some advice.
All I want is for them to be very healthy and very happy.  Cost is
not a concern.

Again, I apologize if I am repeating requests for info.  Please
bear with me.

Ciao for now!  Denise, Simon and Tyler...