From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:11:57 -0500
Perhaps someone can shed some light on a question which stems from my
observations of a very small (approximately 20) sample of ferrets.  I trust
those reading this post will remember predictions regarding health
**cannot** be based on physical traits alone.  Having said that [taking deep
breath], here goes:

    Each of my ferrets -- and many of those in a rescue center -- diagnosed
as having adrenal disease also had elongated phalanges.  If they were human,
they would be described as having "piano fingers." Such a feature is
hallmark for various endocrine disorders in humans.  While one cannot
necessarilly extrapolate and apply such information across species lines, l
wonder if the above described feature is shared by some ferrets and humans.

Granted, it is likely ferrets with a representative range of foot
proportions have been diagnosed with adrenal disease.  Still, I'd be
interested in reading the opinion of the vets and others on the FML
concerning this anecdotal material (I thought I once read a paper that
"supported" what I have long speculated regarding this.)

Hoping not to have started a controversy on the FML,
Irene and Koto, Etsu, Yuki, Moxie, & Mikey ("Maybe Bob can put his finger on
the answer!")