From:
"Bryan H. Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 00:36:05 -0500
I was hoping to beat a little more life out of this subject on the line... I
have checked the few back copies of the FML that I have, and have not seen
anything with the incubation period for ECE.

My sprite Cayanne may have ECE, I'm afraid.  I was playing with her a few
minutes ago, and she went back to her cage to use the litterbox.  What she
left behind was bright fluorescent green pooh.  I have not been in contact
with any other ferrets, or indeed been in a pet store (with animals
present... only a supply store to get food).

I have had my kids for about four weeks now, and haven't shown a sign of
anything wrong until tonight.  The only dietary change was from Iams Kitten
food to Iams Adult food ( the stores were out of Kitten food).  They both
get ferretone, and have had the run of the den for several days.  As far as
I can tell, they have not eaten anything untoward, and are eating and
drinking normally.

I know that one pooh does not an ECE victim make (thank GOD!) but something
like this right out of nowhere... Is it possible that they could have had
ECE from the store, and did not display symptoms until now?  Can ECE be
transmitted across animal lines IE: Cat to Ferret or some such?  What IS the
incubation period for ECE?

Anything anyone can tell me would be IMMENSELY appreciated, especially if
you can tell me that it isn't ECE, and that there is nothing to worry about.

I will be watching my kids very closely until this matter shakes itself out,
and will keep all updated.  I cross my fingers and hope for luck, as I am
inexperienced as a pet human for ferrets, and don't have a good idea of what
to and not to do.

    Thanks all, for everything.

    Bryan Hall