From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 14:51:01 +0100
In issue 1243, Rochelle Newman asked about Sustacal's new formula.  One of
our weasels is elderly and ill, and is now on an all-duck-soup diet.  When
I went to the pharmacy for Sustacal a few weeks ago, I faced the same
dilemma that Rochelle described; during various post- surgical interludes,
Small has always been happy to eat the old Sustacal, but he's rather picky
about "people" food and I wasn't sure how he'd feel about the new stuff.  I
considered trying Ensure instead, but it has considerably more sodium, so I
ended up buying the "new, improved" Sustacal Plus.  YMMV, of course, but
Small couldn't tell the difference; the transition from the last can of the
old stuff to the first can of the new stuff went totally unnoticed (or, at
least, he didn't say anything about it!).  The new stuff [vanilla flavor]
has 360 calories per can, of which 130 are from fat.  While no one will
ever mistake our 7 1/2 year old cancer patient for a Butterball turkey, we
have put quite a bit of weight back on him with Sustacal Plus; our biggest
problem is keeping the rest of the crew -- who are quite plump enough --
from helping him eat it!  Hope this helps.

ellen van landingham
(and Small, Banjo, Rip Van Weasel, and Mike's Fault)