Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:19:34 +0000
Thank you to Janna and all the others who sent me suggestions for fattening
up Chook.  As per the replies I received I was in error not to mention
everything that he was eating.  Chook ate watered down kibble and
occasionally the dry version but in either case it was not enough.  He
likes oatmeal but again, just enough licks to give him the taste.  His diet
consists of the same thing I gave Tinder that she survived on for over a
year and Max survived over 4 years on: Boost - 1/2 can, mixed with Chicken
baby food Jr Meat full jar, mixed with Nutrical - 1 tablespoon.  The
ingredients are placed into a blender and then divided back out into the
baby food jars.  Since the suggestion of whipping cream, I have taken the
boost serving down to a 1/4 can and topped off the rest with the cream.
The result....

I can no longer feel Chook's spine!  He takes in on average about 5
syringes or the equivalent in measure 3/4 of a baby food jar.  In the
meantime, what ever has caused this remains a mystery.  I'm just thrilled
that he has put on weight.  I have tried giving him the mix with watered
down kibble but he seems to know the difference and refuses to eat it.  I
tried giving him freshly cooked chicken and he looked at me as though I
was joking.

My vet is stumped.  We both are uncomfortable with the use of prednisone
given its dangerous history.  I was on it to take down the massive swelling
that I received from the allergic reaction of cleaning my tarantulas
enclosure.  Over the years I have developed an increasingly more severe
reaction to her fine defensive hairs.  This last time was so great of a
reaction that I got no relief until I took the doses of pred.  But although
my doctor wanted me on it for only 4 days I had to take it for 9.  My
girlfriend, who received a kidney transplant about 9 years ago, was on
high doses of pred and now limps because of the degenerative nature of
prednisone on her hip bones.  So for the time being whilst Chook is taking
the food from the syringe (and some from a dish) on his own (I am thankful
for that one big time.) - I don't have to force it down him - we will pass
on the pred and use it as a last resort.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur

To my ferts: Seeing you age only reminds me of how precious life is.  I
love you more now than the first days we met.