From:
jodi frankford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:10:17 -0700
ADRENAL/HAIR LOSS QUESTION

Hello Everyone!

I have a male ferret who had an adrenalectomy last May at CSU (it was
his left). They did a wonderful job on the surgery, and put him on
prostate and pain meds for post op. There were no post surgical
complications. He will be five in February. His hair loss before the
surgery was on his tail and hind nether regions near the tail. Now his
hair has grown back beautifully on his tail, but he has lost a lot of
hair on his lower back and also where the tail connects to his lower
back. The weird thing is that these areas had hair before the surgery.
He is almost bald in this new area of hair loss. How long does it
take for a ferret's coat to return to normal? Is this indicative of
the remaining right adrenal glad going "bad"? If so, what treatment
provides the best lifespan and quality of life? My first ferret died
after having the second adrenal removed (kidney failure), so I am a
little nervous about my present ferret and what treatment I should
seek.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Jodi Frankford, Auto, Sharkie and Morvern