From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:04:42 -0500
Hi Ya'll,

Well, I have a couple of things to add to this discussion.  I got my first
two, and many others, at pet stores.  I investigated at the libraries, book
stores and asked as the pet stores and vets.  I didn't find anything about
any clubs, local or national, until I got online a couple of months later.
And this was in Houston, a place where there had already been two attempts
at a local club and there are 3 shelters.

So what does this tell everyone?  It should point out that all the marvelous
info online is non existant in many parts of the country to those who do not
have the hardware or skills to find it.  None of the national organizations
are promoting themselves correctly, or I would have been able to learn about
them BEFORE I did a search on the internet.

That is the main reason I started the club.  And starting a club was how I
found out about the shelters and vets in the area.  I honestly don't think
local or national groups do enough to promote themselves.  There are a
variety of reasons for this, lack of manpower and/or skills, lack of money,
and no realization of the problem.

That was the point of my pr packet.  I am making it up, but very few
requests have come in.  I was suprised, because I honestly thought a lot of
it was lack of time and or skill at doing this.  But I don't guess I was
right.

But folks, you need to do something.  Don't just plug into the existing
ferret community.  What about info booths at dog and cat shows?  Get rolodex
cards out to the vets in your area, to the pet stores, and to the other
animal shelters.  Contact local media for your fun days.  If they don't know
you are there, you aren't going to get the new owners into the loop.  And
trust me, the vets highly appreciate being able to call on the Houston club
for references for other vets to consult with and to give people a name for
pet sitting or looking for shelters.

You can tell everyone to adopt and quit buying pet store ferrets, but until
a new owner knows there are alternatives, it won't matter.  EDUCATE FIRST!

Mo' Maggie