From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:13:01 -0400
We've had 3 found ferrets turned in.  Three different locations, all found
last week.  If you've lost a little one in GA, please contact me.

To help ensure this tragedy doesn't happen to another, I can finally tell
you the story of the loss of my little FUBAR.  She was an adorable
chocolate who was rescued, along w/her sister, by a neighbor when his
friend was going to "let them lose" because they smelled.  I believe they
were probably stolen.  I had lost a substantial number of my furry family,
who was all up there in age, when I was hit by ECE a couple of years
before.  Because they were only about 14 wks old, I was willing to
introduce them to my remaining 3.  So SNAFU & FUBAR became cherished
members of our family.  They were happy & playful & just loved everyone.
That was about 3 yrs ago.

About a month I decided to sleep in later on a Sat.  I was a little
surprised when a fuzzy came strolling into the bedroom.  Half asleep I
assumed I left one of the fosters out (they reside in our guest bedroom
right next to ours) & carried her back in to put her back in her cage.
When none of the cages had a anyone missing I realized she was one of our
girls.  So I carried her back down to her room & we'd left one of their 3
cage doors open.  Their double cage is on top of a counter we had made for
just that reason - cabinet doors & draws for storage, & formica top.  Tabu
when back into her cage & I another fuzzy came scurrying across the floor.
When I bent over to pick her up...I saw her, my FUBAR, hanging by her head
between the back of the cabinet & the wall.  Our walls, or floor, I don't
know, must not be level, the gap is about an inch & 1/2 at the top &
narrows to close at the base.  I don't know how she could have fallen in
there.  The counter top goes to the wall.  The only explanation I can come
up w/is that when she stretched over the side to jump down, she flipped
catching her head in the opening.

I only had to lift her slightly to free her, but I was too late.  Her
little body was still warm in my arms.  It was a very painful experiences
knowing she was hanging there petrified, & that it could have been
prevented.  We finished our daylight basement for the ferrets.  We always
thought it was completely safe.  It took us 8 yrs & dozens of ferrets, our
own & fosters, to find out it wasn't.  It was a very painful lesson for me
that I hope no one else will ever have to come to terms with.  Look around
your safe ferret place & make sure all openings are either large enough
for them to get through or closed enough so they can't get in at all.  The
hazard has been corrected, now that it's too late for my little FUBAR.

I miss you my little darling, I'm so sorry.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.  3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.  5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./