From:
D CHRISTEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 04:58:28 -0000
Hello Everyone,
I have a very ill old fellow.  I have only had him since January...he was
taken w/his cage mate Samson, to the local Humane Shelter the same day i
got them both.  Well, Odie & i have been battling a weight problem off and
on since he came home w/me.  He had some significant hair loss, but all
over...he seems to have grown some of it back, after a regimented diet of
Chicken Gravy, supplemented w/his favorite but not always the best for him
kitten chow (he was a picky eater) & i was just glad he was eating.  He
got to a point where he would weasel dance, and play for about 15 minutes
before wandering off to retire for a rest.  Well, we are back to square one
again...this time...it is probably sad news...took him to vets a few days
ago, she did glucose (?), said it was @ 40 ?  I have no idea what is normal
for a healthy ferret, but i know Odie is not healthy...she has ordered
prednisone for him and some clavamox...he is eating about 1/2 tsp of
chicken gravy, from the finger right now and i am trying to feed as often
as i can, luckily i am on vacation this week.  I have plenty of time to
devote to his care.  I really need some prayers for my little old boy, i am
under the impression that the boys are about 7 y/o.  A guestimate.  He is
a very sweet ferret, and i would really love to see him bounce around and
dance for joy again.  He is too fragile for any exploratory surgery...out
of the question...i don't really believe he would survive...please pray for
my Odysseus...

On the lighter side, of this morning....I deliver newspapers in the
morning, so i am not always fully awake?  My husband is in Chicago for 3
days for training, or i would have had help w/delivery...3 routes/walking.
Got home, saw my beautiful little faces waiting as usual to get their
chance to play...and let them out...decided since i didn't have to worry
about phone calls, i could tie up the phone line w/the computer for
awhile...(my husband is also on call 6 days a week), so...about 4:45 a.m.,
i am here reading my fml pages & get up to check the others, to find that
i have left ALL THE DOORS OPEN!  To the basement, bedrooms and bath...
eeeeeeek!!!!  Nothing is really ferret proofed in those areas yet...thank
goodness for squeaky toys...i had 2 girls and a boy in the basement...Zeus
was the last one to be found, he was waiting patiently at the basement door
for momma to get him.  Had a young lady in the spare bedroom, and another
young lady in my bedroom....whew!  i had to count heads to make sure i had
everyone and some were still sleeping under covers...i get panicky when i
cannot find everyone quick...

I just remember i have to phone in a shortage, so must get off the line...

Please pray for my Odie....he was dealt one bad blow by being given up by
someone who he had come to trust for 7 years...now he is battling
this....Samson is staying close by him....

Sincerely,

Donna & her little ones, Zeus, Bandit, Jalepeno', Crimson & Clover,
Athena/gone since 01-06-00 & Hera, Samson & Odysseus, Sadie & Jasmine..

Special thanks to Ms. Denise Peddington Davis...she has been a real
blessing to me...God bless you all and all that you do for these special
little creatures....ferret kisses...

Prayers for Betty & her tribulations...i guess that she has been the one
selected as best to handle a situation like that which she is, w/the young
handicapped lady...pray for strength for her...she needs it too.  Pray for
those ferrets that need help.

Pray for me that i learn everything there is to know about ferret care and
can keep up w/2 jobs to be able to afford to provide the best of care for
them all.

I pray for you all...you're the best...even if we get off the subject of
ferrets now and then.

Thanks... again.  donna & all