From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:51:48 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Lena Sjoberg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: lymphosarcoma?

Sounds like lymphosarcoma is very possible. Check out the FAQ on the disease.

>From:    Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Spaying
>I'm from Britain and am having my 2 jills spayed in a month's time.  My vet
>has never spayed a ferret and I was wondering if there is anything special

Perform the procedure like a cat spay.

>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mithril has anal glands
>Mithie had some sort of an abscess on her butt so my husband took her to the
>vet.  It's an anal gland!  She's not descented. ...

Do not rule out the possibility of a partial descent either.

>From:    Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: VT Rescue Update
>Just a quick update on some of the seven rescued ferrets.  The six year-old
>pregnant female had not delivered as of last night.  Everyone is anxious.

The left ovary was actually a large tumor and not a cyst.  I spayed the
ferret also.  The genital tract was sent off to Dr. Williams for biopsy.
The other ferret has what is called hydronephrosis.  The kidney, due to an
inability to excrete urine, enlarged much like a balloon destroying any
normal kidney tissue in that right kidney.  The ferret is still doing well
and seems to be out of a lot of pain.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA