From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:28:42 -0600
With all the recent hoopla, I thought a bit of clarification was in
order.

You might have noticed I RARELY comment on posts that take me to task or
that praise me.  Neither do I usually make a comment on ANY post until I
feel the information being relayed is so incorrect that a mention HAS to
be made.  Almost always, someone else steps into it, and I can ignore the
need.  The reason is because I am so often confused with someone who
might be considered to have some minor degree of knowledge regarding
ferrets.  That is also the reason why I refuse to describe my many
degrees; I REFUSE to swing my post-name alphabet soup in an attempt to
win an argument.  It is also why I always stop commenting when I notice
someone is becoming angry.

More to the point, I realise that some people are extremely intimidated
by ANY person who argues with passion and an average store of knowledge.
I ignore most negative posts BECAUSE I don't want, for ANY reason, to be
considered a person who uses intimidation to win arguments.  However, I
LOVE debate, because it is the flame that burns away the unimportant
aspects of a question, leaving behind something that might not be
understandable, but it is the best what we can come up with.  Debate
leaves you with the tools to understand a question.  It is pure brain
food.

Most people either have no interest in debate, or they mistake the
friendly type of banter used by debaters during informal argument as some
sort of attack.  As a grizzled old veteran of many a night drinking beer
and arguing the most menial aspects of a question, this type of friendly,
teasing debate is second nature to me.  You can be sure that when I am in
debate mode, I am NOT attacking or trying to intimidiate anyone.

Nonetheless, some people DO misinterpret the banter as some sort of
attack, or are intimidated by it, and for that, I am sincerely sorry.
With an extremely small number of exceptions (I *am* human), I would
NEVER try to make a personal attack, or try to intimidate ANYONE, for
any reason.  If you think I have posted something that was attacking,
condescending, or intimidating, email me and I will be happy to set the
record straight, apologize, or whatever I have to do to resolve the
situation.  If you have a question, and am afraid to posting on the FML,
I will post it for you anonymously (the Bob C Q&A series).  If you take
me to tesk privately and are correct, I will be happy to make a public
admission, leaving your name out of it.  I am not here for my ego, but
to help ferrets.  If you believe nothing else about me, believe the last
statement.

Everyone on the FML should know individuals are responsible for their own
actions, and no one elses.  In other words, even if you are angry about
what someone else wrote, you are STILL responsible for that anger.  I
suggest that if you read something and it angers you, walk away from it.
Wait a day or two before you respond, and if you think your post might
be strong, ask someone if they think you are over-reacting.  In the past,
I have made a private note to Bill, asking if the post was too extreme,
and if he mentioned it might be too strong, I would remove it and write
something milder.  You can trust Bill in that regard.  I know if you keep
the FML a place where people can comfortably share their passion for
ferrets, the benefits for all of us will be enormous.

Bob C