From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:23:10 -0500
We have received some checks to put flowers on Meltie's grave.  Although we
know that these were sent with the sweetest and dearest of intentions we
just can't accept them.  We'll void them and return them with the request
that the money be applied to help ferrets.  There are so many ways that
furries need help, from legalization efforts for California, NYC, and some
municipalities, to shelters which have veterinary debt and high food costs,
to health research which helps everyone's ferrets.  (We have mailed a check
to Morris Animal Foundation (45 Inverness Dr. East, Englewood, CO
80112-5480) in her memory and over the next few months will send some to
other places.) Steve and I are middle aged and have our finances in order so
we do not lack funds.  Meltie's grave and the surrounding area will have an
assortment of flowers which should thrive there for many years to come.
Although it's not an appropriate site for hardy carnations to thrive she
already has a lily (though the location is not too great for one -- but we
wanted her to have something right away before we could pick up the others)
and there will be naturalizing crocuses and daffodils to take advantage of
the Spring sun, with shade loving plants: slyvatic Forget-me-nots (already
hardened off and in), Wood Poppy, and Wood Hyacinth for when the leaves come
in.  We're going to try Lily of the Valley as well, and there are already
wild roses there.  Please use the money to help ferrets in whatever way you
decide.  Another thing which can help many is to photostat copies of the
FAQs and Medical FAQs and then distribute them at vets' offices.  The best
way to remember someone wonderful is to help someone else.

Sukie