From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:37:20 -0400
Rice boxes are easy.  First, get a big, low, rectangular plastic storage
container - one of those Rubbermaid things will do.  The under- bed
storage boxes are the right idea, but they are a little shallow.  Go for
something deeper.  You can cover it and cut a hole in the cover, or leave
it open on top.  Next, get a LOT of uncooked, long-grain, regular rice.
NOT minute rice, please!  I think we used two 20 lb bags.  Now, put the
rice in the box, add ferrets, and have fun!  Some ferrets will try to eat
a little rice, but as long as it is the regular uncooked long grain rice,
it will come out the same way it went in.  One of ours is a real plastic
collector, so we bury little toys for him to dig out and he loves it!

Yes, Marshalls food does make their poop smellier.  The fish content in
it is what does it.  BTW, this also makes the ferrets muskier, too.
There are lots of good alternatives: Totally Ferret, Superior Choice (The
Ferret Store brand), Zupreem, 8-in-1 Ultimate (not Ultra), Path Valley
Farms, and Mazuri among others.  If you can't find any of these at your
local pet store, ask them why not!  Seriously, you can get them all at
http://www.ferretstore.com.

One of the best starter links for health issues is
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc.  Also check out the Ferret Health List on
Yahoo Groups if you haven't already.

Roger, Digger, Bear, Fox and Sniffles