From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:01:00 EDT
>[Moderator's note: Fairly close to a commercial post, which normally
>doesn't go in the FML - might had to save future ones for the advertising
>issue.  BIG]

This got me confused, because here was a post about ferrets.  So I went and
checked something I 1st got when I joined the FML.  I saved it because I
thought it meant something.

>    The ferret mailing list (FML) is a forum for the discussion of
>    ferrets, Mustela Putorius Furo, primarily as companion animals.
>    In other words, if you are interested in pet ferrets, this is
>    probably a good mailing list for you.

Hmmm.  A ferret posting warrants a warning, yet a blatantly ferret free post
about BBQ (or was it a lost lunch of 4 decades ago - in either case I don't
care about it) gets put in because it was a "short" list day.  About a year
ago the list began to push 18 pages regularly and people howled about
length, some even left.  Now 30+ pages is common.  If it were quality that
would be fine, but much of it is crap (BIG, my torque is in a cheek).  So I
guess pages numbering only in the teens toss the guidelines out the window
now.

In fact, da ratest bogue seemeses ta talk ina sum magglelyed Anglosh, whats
effen the peoples canty understoods.  Dunt evan news dats fleasancy means
fiancee im sumtin personas overstood ef er war in English.  If length
weren't enough, we have to wade through cute stuff like this to find that it
is almost a personal letter.  I pity the many non English primary members.
I've seen polite people from Japan apologize needlessly for well worded
English and native speakers routinely spout this trash and think themselves
clever.  I can do it too, if you're not impressed with mine, the feeling is
mutual.

The length issue brings up another matter - post length limits.  A while
back these were wisely imposed, and now I call for them to be reduced to 90
lines.  There are too many 2 pages blithering posts which dawdle all over,
while effusively apologizing to BIG (I'll TRY to keep this below 8 pages,
BIG).  And it seems to work.

Now might be a good time to mention my favorite band.  While I like the
Dead, especially before Keith G. died, HAWKWIND is the best for trippy
music.  There used to be a person/family from Ohio that used this as a
handle.  Wonder if they are still on the list and if they like HAWKWIND.
The synths drive some of my ferret crazy as the swirls go around the room.
"Space is Deep" is one favorite and "Psychedelic Warlords" seems to get a
great response.  Anybody who wants to trade gig tapes, let me know.  The
ferrets love to play in the padded mailers.

Of course, there are always those people who feel that this forum is free
and that a person can skip over things they don't like.  Here is a chance to
put your words to action.  You can just skip this and if you are put off,
forget it as you move on.  I print the FML so I can take it home to read and
let my PT read it too.  So the die (or toner in this case) is cast, even if
I skip the post.  I cringe at the trees wasted and landfill lost over things
that probably don't belong in the FML.  Then again, I'm a joiner, if others
can do it, I must be able to too.  Is it time for another pandering aside to
buy indulgence?

We had a newbie mention the length and multiple posts recently.  I applaud
your courage and perspicacity.  In no time you noticed what others have
lost.  We need more people like you.

Well, I'll end this one so I can work on a 2nd post for this issue.  I hope
that there will be more consideration put to post, as requested by our
moderator.  If not, I hope the moderator will enforce things, without
favorites (in just what cheek do they put their tongues?).

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
   O__)  \ \___
      \   \
      /\ * )  \            I'll be bock.

[Moderator's note: Well, Bob, let's see if I can clear it up a bit.  The
guidelines that are sent out specifically allow posts "of community interest
to the membership" and also say news about FML readers is appropriate.  The
guidelines further state that advertising is NOT acceptable.

But, guidelines are just that - guidelines.  I've made exceptions in the
past and will continue to do so based upon the feedback I receive from the
readers and, unfortunately, my own biases and judgement calls.  Typically,
10% of the posts are rejected - so there *is* some thought going on behind
the scenes!

Yes, the length limits are subject to revision if necessary, though I soon
will have the ability to automatically enforce limits on the number of posts
per subscriber per day and I'm considering that too.  In any event, your
comments are noted and all comments are appreciated.  BIG]