Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:12:16 -0400
I do small scale ferret rescue just outside of Orlando and wanted to
share an awesome story with you about 2 ferrets finding their forever
home.

There was a listing on Craigslist about 3 ferrets needing a home. We
answered the add and went and picked up the 3 ferrets. 2 were younger
and 1 was older. Apparently the person getting rid of them also got
them from Craigslist and didn't realize how much work they really were.
I had them at my house for about a month and knew that the older one
was probably going to be hard to find a home for. No one wants older
ferrets! Very sad I know. I personally love the older ones. Well Maggie
(the older ferret) bonded with another older ferret that I had here so
I felt it would be ok to separate her from the 2 younger ones. Usually
I won't separate ferrets that come in together but she really didn't
seem bonded with the 2 younger ones.

I got an email from a college student that had had ferrets when she
lived in NYC and wanted to adopt a couple. After talking to her several
times on the phone and meeting her in person I felt she would make a
perfect home for the 2 younger ones. Well, she had them for about 3
weeks and wanted to know if I could watch them while she went back home
for a vacation. She had named them Artemus and Apollo. No problem.
While watching them I only heard from her a couple times. Personally
I would of checked in on mine daily. She told me when she would be
back and that day came and went. I emailed her and she hesitantly told
me that she had become engaged while back home and had decided that
she couldn't handle the ferrets as well. She felt bad. Yeah right!
Meanwhile the older ferret named Maggie and Jack (RIP) were adopted by
my friend Jenny who cares for hospice and elderly ferrets in Melbourne.
I knew they would have an excellent home with her. Unfortunately Jack
passed away during surgery for insulinoma. You might of read about him
on previous posts. Maggie in the meantime had several other brothers
and sisters at her house to interact with.

I had Artemus and Apollo for about another month when I got an email
from a guy that had adopted a ferret and found out it was sick after
adopting it and had to put it to sleep. He also had previous ferret
knowledge and was ready for another couple. So after talking to him
several times and meeting him I adopted the 2 to him. He had them for
about 2 months and lost his job here in Orlando and had to move back up
to Philly but was going to take them with him. I heard from him about a
month later through an email stating that his landlord at his new place
in Philly was giving him a hard time about the ferrets and he wanted to
fly them back to me here in Orlando. I told him to hang on for a few
days as I knew a few people up north.

That night I posted on my forum (www.ferretopia.proboards51.com) their
story and if anyone knew of anyone in that area that could possibly
find them a good home. I got a phone call the next day from my friend
on the boards Joclyn saying "Hey! I live right there!! Did you forget
about me?" Well, she said she wanted them and to give the guy her phone
number. As it turned out she was only about an hour from where they
were and was going to make arrangements to get them. I cried. I cried
hard! These were tears of joy. These babies had already been to 5 homes
that I know of in their short little lives and I knew they would find
their forever home with her.

Joclyn got the ferrets with a cage with no bottom and no shelves. He
had also been feeding them cat food. I was infuriated and wanted to
give this guy a piece of my mind. I screen people well..........or so
I thought. I had cages if he needed which he didn't as he already had
one and also was told he would feed them Totally Ferret. I even gave
him an almost new bag when they were adopted. I was very relieved when
I was told that they were in great condition considering their recent
care.

So now, Artemus and Apollo will have a new home up north. Originally
from Florida. Their names might be changed to protect the innocent. LOL
Their travels have been long but well worth it in the end. This story
shows just how awesome ferret people really are in times of need. I
wanted to share this heart warming story with people but most of all
this post is a personal THANK YOU to Joclyn for giving these 2 babies
a wonderful forever home!!

Kim

Stinky Pete's Ferret Retreat
http://floridaferrets.webs.com/