From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:54:19 -0400
>Subject: Cage Safety Warning!

>I've recently heard of three cases in which ferrets were injured while
>being kept in the large (4 ft.) Midwest "ferret" cages. [...] If you have
>one of these cages or a cage like it, PLEASE carpet the shelves.

I have a better idea - just go to the pet shop and order two or more shelves,
and put them side by side with the old shelves, making larger levels.  you
can either make the levels so close that the ferrets don't need ladders, or
just turn the ladders 90 degrees so they can be wired with twist-ties to the
back or front of the cage.

better yet, I have just tossed out the shelves and used hardware cloth to
make a full level or two, leaving a small hole for the ramp between levels.
this makes the cage more difficult to collapse, but how many of us really
travel with these cages?

Pam