From:
Katherine Robson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 00:46:20 -0500
This is in response to the article about nipping, in which the (so
far unsuccessful) solution has been to 'wap' the ferret when she
bites.

In my experience, admittedly limited, I have found the following
method to be very successful.  It involves applying ferret
psychology.

What do ferrets hate?  My ferrets do not hate being 'wap'ped.  In
fact, they *love* to play rough with each other, and they love to
fight with us as well - it's only one of the ways they play.  ("I bit
you -- you hit me -- fair enough, let's keep playing!" - Carl Clarke,
Ottawa Ferret Association )  On top of that, I think that it's simply
unkind to 'wap' an animal, especially if there are other solutions.

Ferrets hate boredom.  In fact, I think they hate boredom far worse
than any other thing I've been able to think up.  So, when our ferret
Adhemar nips, I bore him as a punishment.  Some simply take the
ferret and put him/her in the cage after nipping - certainly this is
boring and frustrating.  However, I found that it is difficult to do
this immediately enough to be sure that the ferret is connecting the
two incidents - nipping and then being placed in the cage - to be
successful.

So what I do when the ferret nips is I take him right away and scruff
him by the neck, exactly in the same way that I do when his toenails
need clipping.  Then I hold him up, and don't do anything for a slow
count to sixty.  Meanwhile, his friend Idefix is free to roam about,
getting a good head start on the playing.  Adhemar *hates* this
punishment, and since I can grab him right away, I'm sure he
associates it with the nipping.

The good news is, it worked!  I haven't had to do this for months,
and we saw results - less nipping - in less than a week.  It took two
or three until I didn't have to do it anymore.

In any case, I recommend this as a valuable alternative to 'wap'ping.
Remember, punish with something you know the ferret hates -- and
ferrets hate boredom more than anything else.

Paul and Kathy, Adhemar & Idefix