From:
sargentcolburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:10:53 -0400
Dear S. Owings.

I think that you should get yourself the kit.  It's not 'politically
correct", but I think that you should do it.

I also think that you should start a savings account and put, say,
five or ten bucks a week into it for medical expenses, God forbid you
cver need it!

Here are some other cost cutting tips-

Cut newspaper to fit the bottom of the litter pan, much cheaper than many
of the litter alternatives, just don't use pine shavings, it really is
bad for them, the fumes are toxic.

Instead of expensive hairball remedy, use vasaline.  Most will lick a
little of it up off a spoon.

Rasins, one or two a day are good treats and cheap.

Clean ears carefully with warm olive oil on a q-tip (gently) if they get
crusty, saves you a vet visit.  If you think that they have ear mites
(ask on the FML) you can buy the remedy at petco, or another big pet
store.Cheaper than the vet.

Buy a set of nice little nail scissors, good for clipping toes, saves a
vet visit.  Just don't trim down too far, or the nail will bleed where
it's core is alive.

Feed Iams kitten chow.  Much less inexpensive than many 'ferret chow
brands', but with comperable fat and protein contents.  I have fed it
for years with no problem.

Get your distemper and rabies shots at Petco, they have immunization
clinics for ferrets, good prices, too.  You really should get both of
those.  Distemper, because it's 100 percent fatal and you can bring it
into the house on your clothes.  Rabies, so that if your fuzzie bites
someone it doesn't get autopsied to see if it had rabies.

You don't need fancy expensive pet toys from a store, just your
imagination.  Dryer vent hoses, crinkly plastic bags, cardboard boxes
full of dried beans to dig in (cheap) Potting soil in a box is also good.

You don't need fancy shampoos for ferrets.  A bath maybe twice in a year
is good.  If you wash all the oils off of their coat, they will just make
more and smell worse.  People shampoo, just a little bit is fine.  Run
the tub no hotter than you would want to soak in.

I have done these things for years without any problems, my ladies are
thriving.  Good luck, and for God's sake, don't use my name on the FML!

ALexandra in Massachusetts