From:
jennifer robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:57:49 -0800
I'm a litle behind on emial, but I have a response to sub-Q lupron.
I recommend against doing sub-Q lupron (of any knd) based upon two
experiences I've had.

Many years ago, We did a sub-Q Lupron (4-month) on one of my ferrets.
One day, he we found a giant mass on his shoulder. It popped up over
night. We removed it surgically - it was a huge infection that was
encapsulated.

I started with the annual lupron shots as a preventive therapy. We
tried sub-Q 4-month with all 4 of my brats. I all 4 of them, the depot
pooled under the skin right on the shoulder. My vet and I now suspect
that the infection my other ferret got years ago was a result of the
lsub-Q lupron. This was so long ago that there's no way we can
correlate the timing of the lupron shot with the infection, but it
sure sounds suspicious.

While the sub-Q lupron is effective, there's potenial for it to pool up
under the skin. The depot may not deliver the meds. as evenly as givig
the injection in the muscle (as it's designed to be given) If your
ferret has a poor immune system or other health issues, perhaps the
risk of infection exists as well. (that encapsulated infection covered
the entire shoulder!)

Yes, the shots make my ferrets sqeak. But it beats a pooled up glob
under the skin that might not work as well and may be a potential
source for reaction/infetion.

Regards,
-jennifer