From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:57:22 -0500
This is in reply to Jenn, who asked what are the arguments.  In case anyone
else needs this information, here it is:

Hello Jenn,

These are the arguments for repealing the ferret ban:

1. Ferrets as domesticated species are considered private property and
   therefore are protected by Article 1 of our State Constitution.
2. The current prohibition is due to the animal's misclassification as
   wildlife.  The statute prohibiting the ferret is entitled, "The
   Importation, Transportation and Possession of Live Wild Animals."
3. Clearly, the State Department of Fish and Game has erroneously
   overstepped their mandate (the regulation of wildlife) to prohibit a
   single domesticated species.
4. This regulation criminalizes good people, both native Californians and
   visitors, for exercising a right they already possess under our State
   Constitution, the right to determine the domesticated pet that best suits
   their needs.
5. This regulation also results in government waste since tens of thousands
   of dollars per year are spent in enforcement, and litigation, expenditures
   that an agency that is constantly in the red can hardly afford.
6. Governor Wilson has called for regulatory reform.  The Fish and Game
   Commission has asked for public commentary on those regulations which are
   burdensome and should be repealed.  I can't think of a more qualified
   regulation than the one prohibitng domesticated ferrets in the State of
   California for swift and permanent removal from Fish and Game's code of
   regulations.

Please write soon, and get all of your friends and family to write.