From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:35:13 -0500
Michele, I think that your post makes either the fourth or fifth place
I've read which took in some McKay ferrets to encounter infected anal
glands.

It may pay for those who have taken these ferrets to be a bit extra
aware of that possibility.

Coccidia and giardia have been reported by some people. Be sure the
vet checks for BOTH GENERA of coccidia and have multiple stool tests,
folks.

Another thing I have heard about in several places that took in some (I
guess three locations) has been uroliths, though unless my memory fails
me I have not heard from anyone about results if they had the uroliths
tested to see if they were struvite, cystine, calcium oxalate, or
other, though I heard that struvite were what was suspected. (Actually
important because the dietary approaches (and when needed also medical
approaches) differ radically among urinary stone types. (Having had so
much on my plate recently I might have heard more but forgotten.)

Just a quick update on home news.

Our dear friend with pancreatic cancer continues to go downhill;
another dear friend who had emergency surgery is recovering well.

Dad (93) remains in the nursing home and may always have to be now; he
is back-sliding with increasing loss of strength, continued undermining
of his physical health, and advancing dementia.

Our niece (20) remains about the same and they are working on pain
control. Having learned self-hypnosis about 30 years ago for pain
control for peripheral sensory nerve damage I hope that she is as
successful as i was.

I got to use that control last week. Because I have unusual but
serious problems with a component of general anesthesia I had a surgery
normally done with general anesthesia with about 8 huge syringes of
local instead. Still, it worked well ultimately and I am repairing
wonderfully so just need to remember to not violate my restrictions,
and there is a test the anesthesiologist wants done for something
which can cause the type of response I've had to general so i need to
run that past my everyday physicians.

While I was out of it Steve and the ferrets took great care of me, and
the other Ferret Health List moderators took up my share of the work
along with their own. Isn't it marvelous when a person gets to know
such wonderful people? I sure know that I am lucky!

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: