From:
Marilyn Ledoux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:32:32 -0400
Dear FML Friends,

Saw Alicia's post about insurance.  One word of advice, get it if you
can now, do what you have to do before the industry goes completely over
the edge.  They are only hanging on by a toe hold.  If there are any
insurance salesmen reading this, STOP now, or read it only for laughs.

I have a Malamute, who had been beaten, and because his former owner
caught him in the door as a puppy to be beaten, still, at three years
of age, he has trouble coming in a door.  BUT, it is getting better.

The Shepard has a half moon carved in one ear, the third toe on her
left back foot clipped off, (at age 8 weeks she peed on the flour)
and a lightening bolt tattooed on the inside of her left back leg.

I have two birds, one with a broken wing, one that was traumatized,
another dog, a border collie, cats of every color, and my ferrets.  Yep,
I have no insurance.  This week, and I must share this with you, the gal
from a new company in town said, they would not give me just fire, wind,
and no liability insurance.  With the Shepard on watch, I do not need
theft insurance, and the car is separate.  I asked if they insured
smokers.  Yes they do.  No problem.  She said they would rather insure a
smoker who might burn the house down than a non-smoking dog.  Then she
proceeded to read to me about how vicious my dogs are, and I should be
aware I could be killed.

This gal had no idea what she was talking about.  I asked her if she had
ever had a Shepherd?  No, they are to dangerous.  When my children were
little, I had a Shepard named Nicky, and with my son, one named Max.
Both dogs slept UNDER the crib all night, no baby snatchers here.  Good
thing, the snatcher could have sued me for obstructing the crime.

Every time the wind blows, every storm we have, I am praying from the
first raindrop to the rainbow.  I am desparate, but I will not give up
these wonderful, faithful, dedicated dogs.  We are family, a pack, the
shepherd sleeps at my door, heaven help the intruder.  She would protect
me with her life.  My dogs have a big run, commercially built by a local
building company, as one company wanted a fenced in run.  LaValley's
built me an 8 foot high stockade fence for two weeks pay, and then the
company said the stakes were not close enough.  You cannot put a dollar
bill between them, and the agent inspecting the fence said a small child
could get their hand through there!!!!!  He needs glasses.  These men and
women in the insurance business, are desperate to keep up an image of
protecting people from animals they know nothing about.  Yes, there has
been some cases in the news lately, BUT, look at the way these animals
were kept.  I am still trying, will call someone else next week.

Sorry this is long, but it is my story.  Try to get what you can, and let
your heart rule.  I'm not putting anyone down, and the feed companies are
not really interested.  You would think they would want lots of big dogs,
supper at my house would feed five people.  Big dogs eat a lot, and they
make money.  Bottom line, we are here, all of us.  We have bonded.  One
agent asked if I knew Malamutes were descended from wolves??  Maybe so,
but those wolfy types are just love muffins at heart!.  Please don't tell
anyone, it would ruin his image.

Marilyn