From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:18:02 -0500
.
>My question is what section of the pancreas should be removed if
>no nodules > are visible?  ...
>
>I'm still compiling info for my vet.

Actually, its not one section that they invade more, its that you can
remove one part of the pancreas and not the other.  The ferret pancreas
has a duodenal and a jejunal arm.  The ducts that conduct digestive
enzymes from the pancreas, where they are made and packaged, the
pancreatic ducts, (as well as some of the ducts from the liver to the
duodenum (the bile ducts) run through the duodenal arm.  If you take that
arm out, the ferret will not survive.  However, there are no key ducts in
the jejunal arm, and it can be removed without harm to the ferret (they
have way too much more pancreas than they actually need.)

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

P.S.  You may want to have your vet log on here - we're a very welcoming
group.

[Sukie note: vets sure are welcome; our addy is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/
and folks can learn more about us there!