From:
Forgewizard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:42:09 -0500
Regarding the aloof Bongo.

Poor little guy. It's tough to see them needing personal comfort, but
not be able to get them to accept it. If Bongo allows you to cuddle
him while he remains in the sack and doesn't try to leave the sack you
are at least a step ahead of the game.

Having been a naked ferret for so long- touch from hands could have
been rather foreign, possibly uncomfortable for him. Count yourself
lucky that he only chooses to carry your hand outside of his sleep
sack and doesn't choose to perforate it!

Something that works for me to get stand offish ferrets to look to me
for a cuddle and some security or reassurance sounds gross to some,
but it works wonders! Is to dribble your ferret!

No, don't bounce him off the floor!

While holding him close to you in his sleep sack, offer him some warmed
water from your mouth. This action creates some sort of bonding with
the ferrets that they enjoy. It has helped me get some biters to become
cuddle bugs. And helped stand offish ferrets come to me for a snooze or
a cuddle.

AS he laps the warmed water, you should stroke him through the sack,
not against him directly - not yet. Wait a couple days or weeks until
you slide the sack down a bit and stroke him directly - as he drinks.

Eventually you'll be able to unwrap him completely and stroke him as
he continues to drink. Often times they'll lap their fill then snuggle
back for a snooze, while you still hold them. This is what you are
looking for - the ferret to accept being held and relaxed enough to
fall back to sleep.

Don't get in a rush to touch him directly as he'll likely awaken and
move away.

Time, patience and quiet reassurance will be the best way to show him
hands can feel good.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Kim